Friday, March 9, 2012

What are my rights as a tenant in Toronto around changing my mind on moving out?

I live in an Toronto complex and I am required to give 60 day notice on moving. I thought I was moving out of town for work but I am not moving out any more and I informed my landlord 30 days before my move out date but they have already rented my space. I dont have enough time to find another place.

What are my options?



Thanks!What are my rights as a tenant in Toronto around changing my mind on moving out?
Your ONLY option is to move out on the scheduled date. The property has been re-let. If you fail to move out, you are liable to the new tenant for his losses and expenses and may also be liable to your landlord for double or treble rents for the holdover period, depending upon local laws and ordinances and the terms of your lease. The landlord can also commence eviction proceedings against you to force you out. An eviction on your credit record is poison to all other landlords, leaving you at the mercy of the bottom-feeder slumlords for several years.



If you don't have time to find a new place, get a storage unit and move your things into it and get a cheap hotel room while you search for a new place. That will cost you MUCH less in the long run.
You have no options but to move. You gave notice, they accepted, and they rented the place,. You move when you are supposed to, the fact that it's hard for you to find a new place is your, and only your, problem.What are my rights as a tenant in Toronto around changing my mind on moving out?
You have NO rights. You gave official notice and must move. Pack your stuff, rent a storage unit and move in with family or friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment